- Plan Ahead– Here are some holiday menus and recipes on a budget.
- Don’t Overspend– Stretch your food dollars and still eat well.
- Make it a Potluck– Here are some budget party &potluck tips.
- Chop & Chill– Wash and chop vegetables in advance or prep dishes that can be heated later.
- No-Stress Snacks– Stress can trigger mindless eating. Keep satisfying snacks on hand.
- Take a Break– Take a few minutes with no phone, TV, or other distractions to calm yourself and collect your thoughts.
- During the Event, Move: Find some easy exercise ideas for you and your friends and family.
- Teamwork: Ask for help with things like setting the table, clearing the table, washing dishes, and clean-up.
Healthier Oatmeal Cookies- To Bake or Give
INGREDIENTS Makes 30 cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- Optional stir-ins: 1/2cup chocolate chips, dried cranberries, or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Combine sugar, applesauce, oil, and egg in a large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in the oats and optional stir-ins.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drop the batter by rounded spoonful on a greased cookie sheet making sure they are2-inches apart.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet