There is a constant struggle with choosing the right foods for our bodies.
“Is this salad really healthy or am I just telling myself that?”
“My coffee doesn’t have THAT much sugar. Right?”
Lucky for us, ChooseMyPlate.Gov has an abundance of tips and tricks on healthy eating for all ages. Some general tips include varying our fruits and vegetables, focusing on whole grains, selecting lean meats and plant-based proteins, and choosing low-fat dairy options. If you want to learn more about choosing healthful foods for a balanced diet, click on the link below to receive a personalized MyPlate Plan.
Also, try out this scrumptious MyPlate inspired recipe:
Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 can tuna (5 ounces), packed in water
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lemon juice, to sprinkle on top
- Wash all produce before starting. Chop the apple and celery. Place in a medium bowl.
- Drain the tuna and add it to the bowl.
- Add the yogurt, mustard, spices, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve by itself, stuffed into whole grain pitas or crackers. Enjoy!
Makes 2 servings
Feel free to switch it up by adding chopped bell peppers, cucumbers, grapes, or dried cranberries. Add an extra crunch with sliced almonds or chopped walnuts.