While we are able to get apples all year round, this time of year they are particularly tasty. This is apple season. Apples are a great snack, that are also very healthy. You can grab one on the go, cut it up and enjoy it as an after-school snack, or mix it into dishes to make them a little healthier.
Applesauce can be used in quick breads or cookies to replace the fat or sugar to make a slightly healthier treat. This recipe takes an oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and replaces some of the sugar and butter with applesauce. This gives a beautiful apple flavor to the cookies, while also making them a little healthier.
Applesauce Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large bowl mix applesauce, melted butter, sugar, and egg until well combined
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- Combine applesauce mixture and flour mixture, mix until just combined
- Mix in oats and chocolate chips
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 2 hours
- Place rounded tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet
- Bake for 11-13 minutes
- Remove from oven and enjoy!