Adding more whole grains to your day doesn’t mean that you have to compromise flavor. Try this whole grain recipe as part of your “baby steps” to eating more whole grains! Quick, easy and full of flavor!
Chili Mac and Cheese
- 1 Tbs oil olive or canola
- 2 cups frozen peppers and onions thawed
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 can 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 oz white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- ½ cup shredded cheese Cheddar or Colby
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add thawed peppers and onions with garlic powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and chili powder, and stir constantly for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except pasta and cheese. Stir to combine, scraping up any bits of flour from the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the dry pasta and stir. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until the pasta is cooked to your liking.