The apples and dried cranberries give this stuffing a nice tart flavor. Using a slow-cooker makes holiday cooking a little less crowded.
Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Stuffing
A great way to use up stale bread, start this dish in the morning and you'll have a delicious side dish by the evening!Print Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 12 cups bread whole-wheat, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion washed and chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 4 cups celery washed and chopped (about 4 stalks)
- 2 cups apples washed, cored, and chopped (about 2 apples)
- 1 cup cranberries dried
- 1 can chicken broth reduced-sodium
- ½ cup parsley fresh, washed and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 teaspoons herbs Any combination of dried herbs such as sage or thyme
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Use day-old bread or dry out the bread in the oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and celery, cook, and stir about 5 minutes. Add apples and cranberries to skillet and cook while stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with no stick spray. Add chicken broth, parsley, sage & thyme.
- Add broth, seasonings to slow cooker; stir to blend.
- Add onion, celery, apple, cranberry mixture and stir to blend.
- Stir in bread cubes.
- Cook on high for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to low, and cook for 4 to 6 hours.
To Bake in an Oven:
- Prepare as directed but transfer to a 9×13-inch baking dish or other large casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350°F.
Slow Cooker Note: Do not lift the lid while the slow cooker is operating. Every time you lift the lid, steam escapes and you add cooking time.