Skip to content
A few easy ingredient changes can make meals less stressful and a lot healthier
- Canned Fruits & Veggies: Try low or no sodium and low or no sugar when choosing canned veggies & fruits
- Mayonnaise, Buttermilk, or Sour Cream: Try using plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise, buttermilk, or sour cream.
- White Flour: To get more whole grains, you can replace some of the white flour in a recipe with whole grain. For your first try, replace HALF of the flour with whole grain flour. You can always try a little more the next time.
- NOTE: The recipe we’ll share this week, Cranberry Chickpea Bars, is meant to be a little chewy so we used all whole wheat flour. If we were making a different recipe, we would start with half to make sure we end up with a baked item that still tastes good.
- Flavor: Stay away from seasonings that have salt in them. For example, use garlic powder, not garlic salt. Instead of salt, try using herbs and spices to add flavor. Good options are:
- Garlic or garlic powder
- Onions or onion powder
- Chili powder or flakes
- Mustard powder
- Curry powder
- Lemon juice or a splash of vinegar