This weekend is the “First Day of Spring” but, in Idaho, Spring can be chilly. This Split Pea & Potato Soup recipe is low in sodium and high in fiber & protein. It’s just the thing to keep you going when Spring still feels a little like Winter.
Split Pea & Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 carrots 1 pound, washed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks washed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or another favorite dried herb
- 1 pound dry split peas uncooked, rinsed, and picked through (See package)
- 2 cans low sodium chicken broth 14.5 ounces
- 2 pounds potatoes washed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- In a 6-quart pot, over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, celery, pepper, and dried herb, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in split peas and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until tender, about another 30 minutes.