It’s strawberry season!
Produce in season tastes better and is usually cheaper. The time is right to enjoy strawberries. Red, sweet, juicy strawberries are of America’s most loved fruits. A cup of strawberries has about 50 calories and are an good source of vitamin C and and fiber. When fresh strawberries aren’t in season, choose frozen without added sugar.
Strawberry Oat Bars
- 1-1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup nuts chopped
- 6 cups strawberries washed & sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Wash strawberries very well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the butter pieces and blend into oat mixture with a fork or clean fingers.
- In small a bowl, whisk together the egg and oil. Add to oat mixture and stir until just combined.
- If using nuts, stir those in now. Set aside 1/2 of the mixture to use as topping.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to form a crust.
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Spread the strawberry mixture evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved nut mixture over top.
- Bake until the topping is starting to brown, and the fruit is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack, then transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into 24 pieces.