Perfect for breakfast or brunch on Christmas morning or any time!
Baked Pear Pancake
Perfect for breakfast or brunch, the cottage cheese in this "pancake" gives you bigger flavor and some lightness.Print Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk 1%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup cottage cheese low-fat
- 2 pears (firm yet ripe) cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk the milk, vanilla, eggs and 4 tablespoons of the butter. (Set aside the other 2 tablespoons of butter)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the cottage cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a large liquid measuring cup for easy pouring.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat until bubbling.
- Arrange the pear wedges in the skillet in a single layer.
- Cook on a stovetop to soften the pears, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar, cover and cook until the sugar starts to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet and pour in the batter, starting at the outside edge and working in a circular pattern towards the center. (This will keep the pears in place.)
- Continue to cook on the stovetop until the butter starts to bubble up around the edges, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven and bake, uncovered, until set and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut into 6 pieces and serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and a dash of cinnamon.
Try other fruits such as cherries, apples, or plums. Other spices would also be great. Try nutmeg, ginger, or allspice. Wondering about whole grains? Check out our blog post here on the importance of whole grains!