It’s easy to find reasons not to eat breakfast. The best breakfast is the one you will eat! If you don’t eat in the morning, it is usually difficult to catch up on those missed nutrients throughout the rest of your day.
Breakfast doesn’t have to be traditional breakfast foods. Choose foods that you enjoy and that provide your body with the important nutrients it needs.
- Provides important nutrients.
- Prevents hunger and overeating later on in the day.
- Gives your body the energy it needs after not eating for many hours.
Breakfast should include:
- 3 to 4 different food groups
- A protein-rich food (ie. eggs, cheese, peanut butter, yogurt, fat-free milk, cottage cheese, beans, lean sliced deli meats, etc.). Protein rich foods help you feel fuller longer.
- A whole-grain. Hot or cold whole-grain cereals, whole-wheat crackers, whole-grain frozen waffles, a whole-wheat tortilla or whole grain bread are all great options. (Check the nutrition label to make sure that a whole grain is the first ingredient listed and that there are at least 3 grams of fiber per serving).
- Low-fat dairy foods will provide you with important nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D.
- Fruits and/or vegetables. Most people don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables. Breakfast is a great time to get another serving of them.