Try a healthy twist on a classic with this Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole. This is a perfect dish to make the day before Thanksgiving so you can spend less time stressing and more time with your family. This recipe is also a great to bring as a dish to pass!
Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mixing bowl
- casserole dish
- Mixing Spoon
- 4 cups sweet potatoes cooked and mashed (about 3 large sweet potatoes) *or 2 cans sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nuts chopped (ex: almonds, pecans, walnuts)
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the sweet potatoes by baking them whole in the oven or by cutting them in cubes and boiling until soft. If using canned sweet potatoes, drain excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the cooked sweet potatoes. Add milk, egg, cinnamon, and salt, then mix until smooth.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to a baking dish and evenly distribute mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients: whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, nuts, and butter. Mix together until a crumbly mixture is formed.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture on top of the sweet potato mixture in an even layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until topping is brown. Serve warm and enjoy!