- Plan Ahead– Here are some holiday menus and recipes on a budget.
- Don’t Overspend– Stretch your food dollars and still eat well.
- Make it a Potluck– Here are some budget party &potluck tips.
- Chop & Chill– Wash and chop vegetables in advance or prep dishes that can be heated later.
- No-Stress Snacks– Stress can trigger mindless eating. Keep satisfying snacks on hand.
- Take a Break– Take a few minutes with no phone, TV, or other distractions to calm yourself and collect your thoughts.
- During the Event, Move: Find some easy exercise ideas for you and your friends and family.
- Teamwork: Ask for help with things like setting the table, clearing the table, washing dishes, and clean-up.
Healthier Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
These tasty cookies replace some of the oil with applesauce and replaces half of the flour with whole wheat flour.Print Recipe
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-½ cups oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. (Or use parchment paper to line baking pans.
- In a small bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, eggs, applesauce, oil, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in dry ingredients until combined.
- Add oatmeal and stir until combined.
- Add dried cranberries and stir until just combined.
- Use a tablespoon to drop batter onto cookie sheet. Make sure the cookies are spaced at least 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown. Edges of the cookies should be dry and the centers will look soft. Cool on baing sheet.
We love dried cranberries but you can try other healthy mix-ins such as raisins or walnuts.
Sodium: 97mg | Calcium: 22mg | Vitamin C: 1mg | Vitamin A: 20IU | Sugar: 11g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 50mg | Cholesterol: 14mg | Calories: 102kcal | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 3g | Protein: 2g | Carbohydrates: 19g | Iron: 1mg