When it is cold in Idaho, warmer parts of the country are picking ripe, fresh oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and other sweet or tangy citrus fruits. This is the time of year when these fruits taste wonderful and prices are lower! So, when the weather gets chilly, break out the citrus recipes!
CARROT, JICAMA, AND ORANGE SALAD
Makes 5 Cups
- 3 cups jicama, peeled and cut into small pieces (about 2 small jicama)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and grated (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2 cups oranges, peeled and cut into small pieces (about 2 small oranges)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice (juice from 1/4 orange)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, mix jicama, carrots, and oranges.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, orange juice, honey, lime juice, and salt. Mix well.
- Pour over the salad and stir together.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- If you want to use canned mandarin oranges instead One 10.5 oz. can equals 1 cup of mandarin oranges.
- Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
CREAMY LEMON LENTIL SOUP
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3/4 cup yellow lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 small bunch cilantro, washed and chopped finely
- Cut the lemon in half and juice. If you don’t have a juicer, use a fork. Set aside. (Here’s a YouTube video on how to juice a lemon with a fork.)
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onions, carrots, and celery, stirring frequently. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spices and lentils. Mix well.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer until lentils are tender.
- When lentils are tender, add coconut milk and lemon juice. Heat through.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro
*Recipe adapted from Limoneira Ranch. Here’s a video for this recipe using an Instant Pot.