Let’s talk dairy!
Dairy is an important component to our daily diets. It’s one of the five food groups that is recommended by the USDA. You might be familiar with MyPlate, if not, below is a graphic that’ll help you get familiar with what a healthy balance of food looks like.
The USDA recommends that an average adult get about 3 servings of dairy a day. A serving of dairy could include 1 cup low-fat or fat-free milk, 1 cup yogurt, 2 cups cottage cheese, 1.5 ounces of natural cheese such as cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan, or 2 ounces of processed cheeses such as American.
Dairy is a great source of nutrients. The most commonly thought-of nutrient associated with dairy products is calcium. Calcium is great for keeping our bones and teeth strong, so we can live healthy every day! Dairy also provides nutrients such as potassium and Vitamin D. All these nutrients are so important, so we can continue to do the daily activities we love.
How can you incorporate more dairy into your day? Here are two great recipes that feature dairy. Give them a try and let us know how you like them!
Frozen Pear Pops
- 1 cup canned pears drained and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- 6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
- Cut canned pears into small pieces.
- Mix fruit, yogurt, and orange juice.
- Divide into 4 small paper cups and place in popsicle sticks.
Brag About It Bread Bake
- 6 slices whole wheat bread cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1½ cups broccoli frozen, chopped, and cooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- 1 cup chicken canned, cooked
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups milk non-fat
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9×9-inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Place half the bread in the pan.
- Top with broccoli, cheese, and meat.
- Place remaining bread on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk onion powder, garlic powder, and thyme. Pour egg mixture over bread in pan.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour so the bread can completely soak up the egg mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour, or until center is firm and lightly browned and a thermometer inserted into the center reaches at least 165°F.
- Use your choice of veggies.
- Use your choice of low fat cheese.
- Try some different herbs and spices.