If you’re going to be at work or school all day, pack a snack to take with you. Convenience foods cost more and have empty calories. Choose healthy and tasty snacks that boost your energy between meals. Making your own trail mix can save you money and help you eat healthier. Here’s a recipe your kids will have fun helping you make.
On-the-Go Whole-Grain Trail Mix
- 1 cup whole-grain “O” cereal
- 1 cup whole-grain “square” cereal
- ½ cup walnuts or peanuts low or no salt
- ½ cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds low or no salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries low or no added sugar (or other dried fruit such as apricots)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a clean, dry bowl, combine the nuts and seeds with the cinnamon.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Look for store brand or generic cereals with ingredients such as brown-rice, rolled oats, whole-grain barley, whole-grain corn, whole oats, and whole wheat.
- For a quick and healthy grab and go snack, prepare 1/4-cup snack bags ahead of time. Be sure to wash your hands before making these snack bags. Don’t forget to wash your hands before eating this snack too!
- Since trail mix will not be cooked, it is considered a “ready to eat” food. That means it is important that all surfaces that touch the food, including hands, should be clean.