This make-ahead trail mix is a good snack for work, school, or when you’re on the go. It’s a simple recipe using wholegrain cereals. See the notes for money saving tips.
On-the-Go Whole-Grain Trail Mix
- 1 cup whole-grain “O” cereal
- 1 cup whole-grain “square” cereal
- ½ cup walnuts or peanuts low or no salt
- ½ cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds low or no salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries low or no added sugar (or other dried fruit such as apricots)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a clean, dry bowl, combine the nuts and seeds with the cinnamon.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Look for store brand or generic cereals with ingredients such as brown-rice, rolled oats, whole-grain barley, whole-grain corn, whole oats, and whole wheat.
- For a quick and healthy grab and go snack, prepare 1/4-cup snack bags ahead of time. Be sure to wash your hands before making these snack bags. Don’t forget to wash your hands before eating this snack too!
- Since trail mix will not be cooked, it is considered a “ready to eat” food. That means it is important that all surfaces that touch the food, including hands, should be clean.