African Peanut Stew
This is a delicious, warming soup packed with nutrition. It's also an easy way to get all of the MyPlate categories into one yummy bowl. Enjoy!Print Recipe
- 1 tbsp oil olive or vegetable
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced, or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 28 oz low sodium diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups spinach cut up
- salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro optional
- roasted peanuts optional
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil to hot pot and add onion and jalapeno. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Then add garlic, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes, stir into other ingredients and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in broth, peanut butter, and sweet potato and mix to combine. Turn heat to high to bring pot to a boil.
- Once broth reaches a boil, decrease heat to medium-low. Let soup simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Add garbanzo beans. Simmer for 2 minutes to bring beans to temperature.
- Add spinach.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro and roasted peanuts.
Sodium: 151mg | Calcium: 114mg | Vitamin C: 31mg | Vitamin A: 9967IU | Sugar: 11g | Fiber: 7g | Potassium: 828mg | Calories: 245kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 12g | Protein: 9g | Carbohydrates: 30g | Iron: 3mg