Summer is the time to enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of the long days of sunshine and great weather. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to have summer family fun. Write your activity plans on a family calendar and let the kids help in planning the activities. Allow them to check it off after completing each activity.
Here are some suggestions for family fun!
- Visit a Farmer’s Market. Try to find a rainbow of colorful fruits and veggies and choose some fresh produce to include in your next meal.
- Take a bike ride. Be a tourist in your own town and find a new area to explore on bikes. Pack some water and healthy snacks for kids to enjoy.
- Go to your local city park with a picnic lunch. Get your exercise by having a scavenger hunt or bring a jump rope.
- Take a nature hike and do some bird watching. Take photos and visit your local library for bird identification guides.
- Grow fresh herbs in containers. Seeds are inexpensive and often come in a packet with a variety of choices. Poke holes in the bottom of paper cups or plastic containers and fill with soil. Put seeds in soil according to package directions. Place herb containers in a windowsill or the patio and have kids take care of watering. Wait and watch it grow!
- Bake your own veggie pizzas. Let kids choose from a variety of veggies such as spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and summer squash. Teach kids how to make easy homemade pizza sauce.