Bake your own veggie pizzas. Let kids choose from a variety of veggies such as spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and summer squash. Teach kids how to make easy homemade pizza sauce.
5-Minute Pizza Sauce
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce low-sodium
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste low sodium
- 2 cloves fresh garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, washed and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, washed and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Wash hands before working with food.
- Put tomato paste into a bowl.
- Whisk in a little tomato sauce to thin the paste. Add a little more sauce at a time and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Spread onto pizzas and top with cheese and your favorite washed veggies.
- Store in a seal-able container until ready to use.
- If we don’t have whole grain pizza crusts on hand, we like to use whole grain bagels because they are a little chewy and the pizza sauce doesn’t soak in.