Pumpkin spice is a Fall favorite, but these are tasty any time of year. Instead of adding unnecessary sugars, use tasty toppings such as non-fat vanilla yogurt, fresh, canned, or dried fruit, or some crunchy nuts!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 11/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 13/4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Ideas for optional toppings:
- yogurt low fat
- fruit fresh, frozen, canned, or dried
- nuts pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: Both flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pie spice.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the egg, pumpkin, milk, and oil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Do not over mix! The batter should be a little bit lumpy.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into pan for each pancake. When the edges start to look a little dry and small bubbles begin to form in the middle, gently turn over with a spatula and cook for about 1-2 minutes more. Pancakes should be golden brown on both sides. Enjoy warm with optional healthy toppings.