Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms slices
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers diced
- 2 cups cooked or canned chicken shredded
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce divided
- 12 corn tortillas (6" round)
- 1 cup queso fresco or shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub vegetables under cold running water.
- Spray medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms, and green pepper. Saute until tender, about 5-10 minutes, over medium high heat.
- Mix together shredded chicken, 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, cooked vegetables, and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spray an 8-inch by 8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add 1/4 cup enchilada sauce to bottom of dish, then add 4 tortillas on top, spread out to cover entire dish.
- Add 1/2 of vegetable and chicken mixture to tortillas, then another 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Cover casserole with remaining 4 tortillas, 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake additional 5-10 minutes, until all cheese is melted. Internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees F with meat thermometer.
*Nutrition Facts calculated using queso fresco cheese* Try pairing with our slow cooker bean recipe