The National Nutrition Month® campaign from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is celebrated each year during the month of March. It focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits. This year’s theme, Celebrate a World of Flavors, showcases how flavors from different cultures around the world are a tasty way to nourish ourselves and appreciate our differences. We are all unique with different bodies, goals, backgrounds and tastes!
Simple steps you can take for a healthful lifestyle include the following:
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods:
- Include healthful foods from all food groups.
- Learn how to read Nutrition Facts labels.
- Incorporate your favorite cultural foods and traditions.
- Plan your meals and snacks:
- Choose healthful recipes to make during the week.
- Use a grocery list to shop for nutritious foods.
- Make healthful food and drink choices.
- Create tasty foods at home:
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills.
- Try new flavors and foods from around the world.
- Enjoy your meals with friends or family, when possible.
- Put it all together:
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods.
- Plan your meals and snacks.
- Create tasty foods at home.
A good place to start on your road to healthful eating is with eatright.org, where you can read about healthful food choices, try out new recipes, watch videos and more! All of the content you’ll find on eatright.org is science-based. After all, it is the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, which is the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals!