It is recommended that we consume 3 servings of dairy like low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese each day. However, most Americans fall below that recommendation, getting only an average of 1.8 servings per day.
- Dairy products provide calcium, potassium and vitamin D.
- Dairy foods have health benefits. They have been shown to help to be important for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth and may help with maintaining a healthy blood pressure.
Some easy ways to get your 3 a day include:
- Use low-fat dairy as a base in your smoothie creations. Blend 1-½ cups fruit, 1 container low-fat yogurt, ½ cup low-fat milk and 5 ice cubes. Try adding spinach or greens for extra nutrition.
- Substitute syrup on pancakes or waffles with flavored low-fat yogurt.
- Make low-fat milk your mealtime beverage choice.
- Use plain low-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or mayonnaise.
Leave a Reply