Everyone loves the summer months, but it can get hot. Don’t let the summer heat keep you from staying active. It’s important for kids to stay active as well. Adults need at least 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week and children need at least 60 minutes each day of the week.
Here are some helpful tips when planning your summer activities:
- Plan to get moving in the cooler part of the day – first thing in the morning or at dusk are both good times.
- Start slowly – if you are just getting into being more active, it is a good idea to gradually increase your activity level over time, so that you don’t overdo it and can stick with it.
- Stay hydrated – by drinking plenty of water before, during, and after activity.
- Get outside and do anything.
Fun Summer Physical Activity Ideas:
- Go for a walk, jog, or run.
- Ride a bike with your family.
- Do stretches – side bends, toe touches, neck rolls.
- Do exercises – sit-ups, crunches, arm curls, leg lifts, squats, push-ups, jumping jacks.
- Go for a swim. There are so many lakes and rivers in our area. This is a great way to get moving while staying cool.
- Play catch or another game in the sprinklers with your kids.
- Visit an area park that has a splash pad and join your kids in the fun.
- Wash your car by hand.
- Use the AllTrails app to find hiking trails near you.
- Do some yardwork. If you don’t have a yard, volunteer to help someone in need of help with their yard.
- Try some other family friendly activities – Frisbee, jump rope, hula hoop, hopscotch, tag, bubbles, and many others are fun ones to do with your kids. You can find some low-cost items such as jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and other supplies at your local dollar store.
Daily physical activity is an important part of a healthy lifestyle for all ages. Being physically active has many health benefits and can help reduce stress.