Zesty Pumpkin Bean and Rice Bowl
This dish is easy and satisfying! Use any type of winter squash.Print Recipe
- 1 cup Pumpkin or any winter squash
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Onion diced
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cumin
- 3 cups Kidney beans cooked
- 3 cups Brown rice cooked
- 2 cups Chicken Broth low sodium
- 1 Tbsp White vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Parsley optional for topping
- 1 Lime optional for topping
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash pumpkin or other winter squash and carefully cut the it in half.
- Put about an inch of hot water in a baking dish, Lay the squash in the baking dish, cut side down.
- Bake until the squash is tender, and a fork can be inserted easily.
- Drain water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, on low heat, sauté the vegetable oil, garlic, onion, and herbs and spices, until soft. Stir often
- Stir in pumpkin, cooked beans, cooked rice, broth, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Optional: Top with chopped Parsley and a squeeze of lime juice.
*Once pumpkin is cooled, you can store what you don’t need in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to a week or, in the freezer for up to 3 months. *Chef’s tip- Your nose knows! Experiment with different herbs and spices by smelling them first. Try substituting one at a time until you learn what aromas you like.