In chilly weather, we crave hearty meals. This dish is easy and satisfying!
Zesty Pumpkin Bean & Rice Bowl
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup cooked winter squash (Try a small pumpkin, acorn, or any other winter squash)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano OR thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper OR chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon OR allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin OR coriander
- 3 cups red beans, cooked (or your choice of beans)
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (Different types of vinegar for different tastes. You can also substitute lemon or lime juice.)
- Optional: 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Optional: 1 small lime, washed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash winter squash and carefully cut the it in half.
- Put about an inch of hot water in a baking dish, Lay the squash in the baking dish, cut side down.
- Bake until the squash is tender, and a fork can be inserted easily. Drain water and set aside. Once cooled, you can store what you don’t need in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to a week or, in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- In a large skillet, on low heat, sauté the vegetable oil, garlic, onion, and herbs and spices, until soft. Stir often.
- Stir in the cooked beans, cooked rice, broth, and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Optional: Top with chopped Parsley and a squeeze of lime juice.
*Chef’s tip– Your nose knows! Experiment with different herbs and spices by smelling them first. Try substituting one at a time until you learn what aromas you like.