An easy-to-make comfort food that sounds exotic and tastes delicious. Made from ingredients that we usually have on hand, we love it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner with a slice of toasted whole grain bread.
Shakshuka- Saucy & Spicy Eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper washed, cored, and shopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 eggs
- ⅓ cup feta cheese or another crumbly cheese if you like
- 1 bunch cilantro washed and chopped
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In an ovenproof skillet, heat oil on a stove over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, red pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and pepper for about 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften and spices begin to smell nice.
- Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes; bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low on cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Make 6 to 8 wells in the sauce with spoon; crack egg into each well.
- Transfer pan to oven. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until eggs are cooked.
- Top with cheese and cilantro.