Pears give this savory dinner a slight sweetness.
- 1¼ pound Chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 cup Carrots sliced
- 3 tablespoons Whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons Curry powder
- 2 cups Chicken broth, low sodium low sodium
- 15 ounces Canned beans, low or no sodium any variety, low sodium
- 15 ounces Canned pears, no sugar added drained and diced
- 1½ cups Mixed vegetables Canned or Fresh
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cut each chicken thigh into 3 or 4 pieces and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the browned chicken pieces from the pan and place on a plate then, season with pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the onions and carrots to the pan and cook until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and curry powder then add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir while cooking until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the browned chicken back to the pan with the beans and pears.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F with a thermometer.
- Add the veggies and lemon juice and cook 5 minutes more.
Serve hot with cooked brown rice.