Winter Squash can be roasted, sautéed, puréed, or mashed. Use it in soups, casseroles, salads, breads, muffins, and more.
General Winter Squash Preparation
- Wash and scrub well under clean water.
- Use a vegetable peeler if the recipe calls for peeled squash.
- Use a sharp knife to cut winter squash due to the tough outer skin. Cut in halves or quarter.
- Use a large spoon to scrape the seeds out.
Microwave Winter Squash
- Place halves or quarters, cut side down, in a shallow dish
- Add ¼ cup water. Cover tightly then, cut a small slit to vent steam.
- Microwave on high for 6 minutes per pound.
2 pound squash = about 3 cups cooked flesh
Try the Easiest Way to Cook Winter Squash!
Easy Slow-Cooker Winter Squash
- Slow Cooker
- 1 butternut squash medium
- Wash hands with soap and warm water.
- Wash squash well.
- Place the whole butternut squash in a slow cooker and cover.
- Cook for 3 – 5 hours on high or 5 – 7 hours on low. Squash is done when it is soft and easily pierced with a knife.
- When cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop out seeds.