This time of year can be challenging with treats and special foods constantly around. Here are some tips that can help you manage these challenges during this holiday season:
- Start with vegetables to take the edge off your appetite.
- No food should be on the naughty list. Choose the dishes you really love that you can’t get any other time of year, like Aunt Edna’s pumpkin pie. Slow down and savor a small serving. If you plan for it, no food needs to be on the naughty list.
- When celebrating have a small plate of the foods you like best and then move away from the food table.
- Eat slowly. It takes at least 20 minutes for your brain to realize you’re full.
- Most of all, remember what the season is about—celebrating and connecting with the people you care about. When you focus more on the fun of the season, it’s easier to focus less on the food.
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention