This isn’t a set recipe, just some great ideas for basic camping dinners made in a foil packet.
Foil Packet Camping Dinners
Great for camping!Print Recipe
- Choose a protein: Ground beef or turkey sausage, cubed chicken or steak, fish. Smaller pieces of meat cook more quickly.
- Add lots of veggies: For ease, wash and cut veggies ahead of time. Onions, potatoes, carrots, corn, and green beans.
- Choose a seasoning: You may keep it simple with pepper a pinch of salt or add other seasonings like garlic powder, dried or fresh herbs, or your favorite no-salt seasoning.
- Wash hands with soap and water or, If you don’t have access to running water, use a water bottle, soap, and paper towels. Or consider using moist disposable towelettes or alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- The Foil: When you wrap food in foil for cooking over coals, use 2 layers of foil to avoid burning food. Use enough foil so you will be able to twist the ends into handles to make it easier to pick up the packet.
- Oil the foil: Don’t go to all that work only to have your food stick to the foil! Rub the inside of the foil packet with oil or butter.
- Leave room in the packet. When sealing up your foil packet, leave a little space for steam to circulate and cook the food.
- Rotate the packets during cooking. Use tongs to rotate. This makes sure they cook evenly.
- Tip: Make packets ahead of time. Stack them in the cooler until you’re ready to cook. Less time chopping means more time enjoying the great outdoors.
Tip: Make packets ahead of time. Stack them in the cooler until you’re ready to cook. Less time chopping means more time enjoying the great outdoors.
Leave a Reply