Stuffed Acorn Squash
A balanced meal for the whole family! Use MyPlate to identify the food groups.Print Recipe
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- cutting board
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb ground turkey 93/7 lean
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and ripped into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp rosemary fresh or dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- Always wash hands before food preparation.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub outside of acorn squash under clean water. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place face down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- Wash all produce and prepare as listed.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground turkey until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from skillet and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- To the hot skillet, add sliced onion, garlic, and seasonings. Cook until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook an additional 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Remove acorn squash from oven and let cool to safely handle. Once cool, remove half of the flesh and place in the mixing bowl. Reserve squash shells.
- In the mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, removed flesh of squash, and the onion kale mixture. Once mixed, add to the acorn squash hollowed shell. Place the 4 stuffed acorn squash back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy warm!
Optional: replace ground turkey for lentils or beans. Click here to check out other ways to enjoy squash!