Stuffed Acorn Squash
A balanced meal for the whole family! Use MyPlate to identify the food groups.Print Recipe
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- cutting board
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and ripped into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp rosemary fresh or dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- Always wash hands before food preparation.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub outside of acorn squash under clean water. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place face down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- Wash all produce and prepare as listed.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground turkey until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from skillet and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- To the hot skillet, add sliced onion, garlic, and seasonings. Cook until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook an additional 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Remove acorn squash from oven and let cool to safely handle. Once cool, remove half of the flesh and place in the mixing bowl. Reserve squash shells.
- In the mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, removed flesh of squash, and the onion kale mixture. Once mixed, add to the acorn squash hollowed shell. Place the 4 stuffed acorn squash back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy warm!
Optional to replace ground turkey for lentils or beans.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 1293mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4082IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 3mg