This time of year can be a challenge with so many treats and special foods readily available. By being more mindful, you can stay focused on health while still enjoying the season. Take advantage of these ideas for healthier versions of popular holiday foods:
· Make mashed potatoes with skim milk and low-fat and low-sodium broth.
· Try mashed sweet potatoes.
· Try a vegetable or fruit-based stuffing.
· Remove the skin from turkey or poultry.
· Prepare a baked ham without a glaze.
· Prepare gravy with low-fat, low-sodium broth.
· Enjoy a fruit and vegetable platter as an appetizer.
· Choose unsalted nuts.
· Top your fruit crisp with oatmeal.
· Make a crustless sweet potato or pumpkin pie and use evaporated skim milk and egg whites or egg substitute.
· Make chocolate pudding with skim milk.
· Make cakes and other baked goods with unsweetened applesauce in place of oil or butter.
· Choose reduced-fat eggnog
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- cutting board
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb ground turkey 93/7 lean
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and ripped into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp rosemary fresh or dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- Always wash hands before food preparation.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub outside of acorn squash under clean water. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place face down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- Wash all produce and prepare as listed.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground turkey until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from skillet and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- To the hot skillet, add sliced onion, garlic, and seasonings. Cook until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook an additional 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Remove acorn squash from oven and let cool to safely handle. Once cool, remove half of the flesh and place in the mixing bowl. Reserve squash shells.
- In the mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, removed flesh of squash, and the onion kale mixture. Once mixed, add to the acorn squash hollowed shell. Place the 4 stuffed acorn squash back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy warm!
Leave a Reply