In June, we start seeing cherries and, as summer blooms, we see apricots, nectarines, peaches, plums, and more. These are all “stone fruits” that have a hard pit/seed, or “stone”, in the center. Rich in vitamins A, C and E, as well as fiber, potassium and antioxidants, these vibrant fruits pack a potent nutritional punch. Look for these sweet & juicy fruits in June, July, August, September, and October.
Idaho stone fruits are grown mostly in Southern Idaho close to the Snake River where warm days and cool nights make sweeter fruit. If there is not an orchard near you, you can still find these vitamin-packed fruits in grocery stores and farmers markets, and they are priced lower and taste sweeter and juicer in the summer.
We chose a few orchards where you can pick your own fruit, but we would like to hear from you: Where do YOU pick fresh fruits during summer in Idaho?
- Brooke Orchards, 50 Hill Road, Weiser, ID 83762
- Cherry Hill Farms, 15228 Chicken Dinner Road, Caldwell, ID 83607
- Gem Orchards, 2571 W South Slope Road Emmett, ID, 83617
- Kelley’s Canyon Orchard, 1903 River Road, Buhl, ID 83316
- Symms Fruit Ranch, 14068 Sunny Slope Road, Caldwell, Idaho 83607
- Tyler’s Rocky Points Orchard, 993 Hermosa Street, Emmett, ID 83617