Everyone loves a good sandwich or wrap. However, if you are looking for bread alternatives or to diversify your diet, lettuce is a great option for you! You can use lettuce to substitute all kinds of bread like rolls, pita wraps, and burger buns.
Why choose lettuce as a substitute?
High Nutrition: Lettuce wraps offer a different approach to traditional wraps or bread, making them an excellent choice for those looking for ways to get more vegetables in their meals. Additionally, they are rich in vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, vitamin K, and folate, promoting a well-rounded diet.
Gluten-Free Option: For individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease, lettuce wraps provide a naturally gluten-free option for enjoying delicious wraps without discomfort.
Using lettuce as a wrap is a great way to try something new alongside your favorite sandwich insides as well as diversifying your diet without completely changing it.
What is there besides lettuce?
While lettuce is a staple in many households, it’s not the only leafy green that can be used as a wrap. Here are some of the best greens to consider:
- Swiss Chard: Swiss chard is a robust leafy green that comes in vibrant colors like red, green, and rainbow. Its sturdiness and slightly earthy flavor make it an excellent choice for hearty fillings.
- Collard Greens: Collard greens have a mild taste and a sturdy, large surface area, making them ideal for wrapping various ingredients, especially for warm and savory dishes.
- Kale Leaves: Kale, known for its incredible nutritional benefits, can be used as a nutritious wrap substitute. Look for the larger, flatter leaves for easier wrapping.
- Cabbage Leaves: Cabbage leaves are an affordable and widely available alternative, with a slightly sweet taste that complements a variety of fillings.
What kind of meals can I make?
- Asian-Inspired Lettuce Wraps: Use large Napa cabbage leaves or butter lettuce to wrap up a flavorful mix of minced tofu or chicken, shredded carrots, bell peppers, cilantro, and a peanut sauce.
- Mexican-Style Swiss Chard Tacos: Embrace some bold flavors by wrapping your favorite taco fillings like spiced black beans, avocado, pico de gallo, and shredded cheese in Swiss chard leaves.
- Vegan Sushi Rolls with Kale: Swap traditional seaweed for kale leaves to create vegan sushi rolls with avocado, cucumber, carrots, and a drizzle of soy sauce.
Lettuce substitutes offer an exciting and nutritious twist to your meals, allowing you to enjoy the goodness of leafy greens in creative ways. If you want to get started right now, try out this Lemon Pepper Chicken Lettuce Wraps! Happy wrapping!