Cherries have been a cherished fruit for centuries. There are many kinds but are grouped as two types: sweet and tart.
Cherries are not just red…..there are also yellow, blush, gold and dark red (almost black) cherries.
Cherries have several health benefits:
- High in vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants
- Contains vitamin A, calcium, protein and iron.
- Fat free, cholesterol free and sodium free.
- Anthocyanins in cherries are what give the fruit its red color and helps protect the heart and surrounding tissues.
Cherries are enjoyed in many forms: fresh, frozen, dried, canned, as a juice, jam or jelly.
- Juice: add to smoothies, a splash to water or drink straight as juice.
- Frozen/canned: add to cereal, oatmeal, smoothies or yogurt.
- Fresh: add to selzer water, fruit crisps, salads, slaws, salsa, compotes or as a to-go snack. Add to low-fat ice cream or yogurt. Cherries make delicious desserts, jams and jellies.
- Dried: great in salads, baked goods, granola or trail mix and yogurt.
Try substituting cherries for recipes that call for blueberries or strawberries.
Cherries are cherished for many reasons…. whether they are fresh, frozen, canned, dried, juiced or jellied, the delicious taste makes them a favorite fruit for many.