In addition to planning your Turkey, the Thanksgiving holiday is known for lots of side dishes so, start planning what you might make. For the last few years, we’ve been collecting some healthy recipes that are great for any Fall meal including Thanksgiving. We like them and hope you’ll try them too.
… and much more.
Baked Apple Raisin Whole Wheat Stuffing
Try using cranberries or other dried fruit.Print Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Baking Dish
- 10 cups whole wheat bread cubed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups non-fat milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 medium apples washed, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine the water, onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. (Do not drain.)
- Pour the hot mixture over the bread cubes.
- Stir in the milk and egg.
- Gently fold in the apples, and raisins.
- Spoon stuffing into a baking dish and bake for 1 hour until top is golden
You can substitute fresh pears for the apples or use another dried fruit instead of raisins.